REVISION OF THE TOURISM NATIONAL STRATEGY FOR DOMINICAN REPUBLIC 2022
Main characteristics of the project
The IADB and the Dominican Republic have signed a loan agreement (2587/OC-DR) with the purpose of carrying out the “Tourism Development Program for the Colonial City of Santa Domingo”, with the objective of repositioning the Dominican Republic by opening a new niche market complementary to “sun and beach” tourism. This new niche market will create tourism based on the wealth of historical and cultural patrimony as well as social inclusion. The general objective is to invigorate the competitiveness of the tourism sector in the Dominican Republic, through the diversification of the current offer, which will meet the needs of the demand of high-end tourism, generate greater benefits for the local population and diminish the pressure on costal destinations. The specific objective is to increase the revenue and employment generated by Tourism in the Colonial City of Santa Domingo through the development of tourist products with a high competitive potential.
Services carried out
- Analysis of the situation at all level, tourism, urban, environmental, economic, legal, etc.
- Individual interviews and group workshops with local stakeholders
- Identification of critical points
- Strengthening of Tourism management
- Invigoration of the Tourist Administration, with the main objective of defining a National Plan of Tourism for the Dominican Republic until 2022, as an instrument that will allow for the organisation and management of medium and large tourism activities.
Ministry of Tourism for the Dominican Republic
Value of Contract
September 2014 – June 2015